Sunday, August 1, 2010

Christ Figure

Finny can be described as a Christ figure. The words god, raised arms, transfigure, perfection, glowing, exaltation and transcended all describe a Christ figure. "Phineas in exaltation balancing on one foot prow of a canoe like a river god, his raised arms invoking the air to support him face transfigure body a complex set of balances and compensations, each muscle aligned in perfection, his skin glowing from immersions, his whole body hanging between river and sky as though he had transcended gravity" (Knowles, 75). Finny is self sacrificing. His leg is injured so he can't play any sports and he is going to help Gene with sports so he could make it to the Olympics, even though he really wanted to go. "Did I ever tell you that I used to be aiming for the Olympics?" "No, you never told me that." Gene said. "Well I was, And now I'm not sure, not a hundred percent sure I'll be completely, you know, in shape by 1944. So I'm going to coach you for them instead" ( Knowles, 117). Gene went along with Finny as he always did.

No comments:

Post a Comment