Thursday, July 1, 2010

Character Spotlight: Owen Meany

There is a saying that goes along the line of: "People come into your life for a reason, whether it be good or bad, they are there to make an imprint on your life, which shall last forever." My 8th grade teacher used to repeat that quote to us almost everyday.I never understood why, but now I sort of do.

Even though I am not completely done with reading A Prayer For Owen Meany, by John Irving, I am almost halfway through the book, and I've realized that this is a special book. Well, books are special, in a way, but this one in particular has recently stood out to me. Owen Meany is an exceptional young boy who is really bright for his age, and so far, everything he has said has come true, no matter how ridiculous it may seem at the time.

When I first cracked open the book, I thought that Owen was just another simple character following a simple plot, but, that is not the case here. Irving has created a story that follows a sequential plot, but not in the order that I am used to, which made the book extremely difficult for me to read. And in this peculiar plot style, Owen seemed to be, of course, what the whole thing was about. Owen made the book funny and exciting just enough, that I could bear to read the required amount that was assigned for homework. In the book, Owen has entered Johnny Wheelwright's life because he was chosen by God to complete an assignment. Well, I feel that Owen has also entered my life. I don't know why, but Owen is the first character to make me feel like I really know him. I applaud Irving for his spectacular imagery, and how he managed to create a charcter such as Owen Meany. It's those kind of people that you will never forget.

"People come into your life for a reason, whether it be good or bad, they are there to make an imprint on your life, which shall last forver."

No comments:

Post a Comment