Thursday, July 29, 2010

Phineas- A Christ Figure

Phineas is a Christ figure because he is forgiving, doesn't truly accept corruption , and is betrayed by a close friend. Even though Phineas knows that Gene jounced the limb, he still says to Gene,"I believe you. It's okay because I believe you. It's okay because I understand and I believe you. You've already shown me and I believe you"(Knowles 191). Jesus forgave Peter when he told Christ to not sacrifice himself. Although Finny is aware of Gene's betrayal, he tells Gene, "Something just seized you. It wasn't anything you really felt against me, it wasn't some kind of hate you've felt all along"(Knowles 191). He refuses to believe that Gene could have jounced the limb with the intent to hurt him. He doesn't believe Gene is evil by nature. When Peter tells Jesus not to sacrifice himself, Jesus says,"Get behind me Satan "(New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures). Phineas is also betrayed by Gene when it's revealed to him that he shattered his leg."You want to break something else in me! Is that why you're here"(Knowles 184)! It is significant that Phineas is a Christ figure because the tone of A Separate Peace is somewhat dreary and melancholy with Gene as its narrator. With Phineas as the Christ figure, it brings light and hope to the story as he leads the other schoolboys. Essentially, he was "redeeming an unworthy world "(Foster 120).

No comments:

Post a Comment