Thursday, July 29, 2010

Characterization-A Separate Peace

In a Separate Peace by John Knowles, he creates dynamic characters. Knowles process of forming the charters in ASP is unique and not as explicit as other authors do. A theme that is formed is identity. Gene the protagonist is out to find what kind of person he is and what he is set out to do. Gene makes some bad decisions like jouncing the limb of the tree which took his best friends leg. "I spent as much time as I could alone in out room, trying to empty my mind of every thought, to forget where I was, even who I was...I decided to put on his clothes"(Knowles 62). Gene at this time forgets he is a smart, talented adolescent, and tries to emulate Phineas. Gene is in search of his identity and tries to be someone he’s not creating confusion in his life and also causing him to make mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment