Friday, July 30, 2010

Tone in A Seprate Piece

According to Dictionary.com, tone is: "A particular quality, way of sounding, modulation, or intonation of the voice as expressive of some meaning, feeling, spirit, etc."
Gene's tone in A Separate Piece is detached, dark and gloomy, this tone reveals his inner fears. His fear of not being accepted by his peers, his fear of not being good enough for Phineas, and his fear of being at war with himself. It is important that his tone reaveals his fear because fear is a major theme throughout the story.
Gene says, "The houses along Gilman street began to look more defensive, which meant that I was near the school, and then more exhausted which meant that I was in it" (Knowles 11). This description is dark, gloomy, and negitive. This description portrays the Devon school as somewhere to fear, which is exactly what Gene did. Gene feared Devon school. All he has feared has come from Devon.
Then later on in the story Gene says, ""Do you think I want to hear every glory detail! Shut up! I don't care!..."" (Knowles 151). Gene is rude and frustrated. The tone shows Gene the opposite way he is seen when he is with Phineas, instead of trying to please Phineas and be equal to him, Gene has this rough "I don't care" type of additude.
And lastly, Gene says, "I didn't want to hear any more of it. Not now or ever. I didn't care because it had nothing to do with me. And I didn't want to hear any more of it. Ever" (Knowles 151). Gene's tone here reveals his selfshness. Gene is not the most trustworthy person and can not be left alone even with his own thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment